Buildings recognised as historic state patrimony by Condephaat (São Paulo State Council for the Defence of Historic, Archaeological, Artistic and Touristic Patrimony) preserve and promote the history of the State of São Paulo and take visitors on a trip into the past.
Among highlights are the São Luiz do Paraitinga Historic Centre, São João da Boa Vista Theatre, the Coffee Museum in Santos and the Felícia Leirner Museum in Campos do Jordão.
Coffee Museum (Originally the Official Coffee Stock Exchange)
The Coffee Stock Exchange was founded to be of service to the coffee business in Santos, the city being a trade hub thanks to Railway expansions and its major international Port, from where coffee was exported. Up until 1929, the institution was highly active, but with the Wall St Crash and the accompanying world-wide economic crisis, the Coffee Exchange house entered into an irreversible decline, finally closing its doors to trade in 1937. Built by the Santos Construction Company, the eclectically stylised building was completed in 1922. Among the luxurious materials used in its construction were Carrara marble for the floor, coloured glass and painted panels by Benedito Calixto. The building has housed the Coffee Museum since 1998, and visitors are able to browse the museum’s collection, whilst sampling some of the delicious coffees.
Address: Rua XV de Novembro, 95 – Centro Histórico – Santos (SP)
CAMPOS DO JORDÃO
Felícia Leirner Museum (Ex-residence of the artist Felícia Leirner)
The Felícia Leirner Museum, in Campos do Jordão, belongs to the State’s Culture Secretary, and was opened in 1978 by the artist herself. Felícia was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1904, and came to Brazil, her adopted country, in 1927. Her passion for animals and nature is reflected in her work. In 1962 she moved from São Paulo to Campos do Jordão, in search of a more peaceful way of life, closer to nature. In 1982 she finalised the production process for the Museum, which is open to the public all year round and offers activities and workshops in addition to its collection.
Address: Av. Dr. Luís Arrobas Martins, nº 1880 – Alto da Boa Vista – Campos do Jordão (SP)
SÃO LUIZ DO PARAITINGA
São Luiz do Paraitinga Historic Centre
Located at the top of the Serra do Mar (a mountain range system in South-eastern Brazil), halfway between Taubaté and Ubatuba, the city of São Luiz do Paraitinga was officially founded in 1769. In the nineteenth century the region received investment and development thanks to the coffee economy. At this time, São Luiz do Paraitinga was responsible not only for a variety of agricultural products, but also acted as a resting and refuelling point for the troops transporting coffee from the Paraíba Valley to the Coast. Dotted around the city are some grand old houses, mainly from the nineteenth century. In all there are 171 separate buildings, most of which are residential, and 262 basic houses (one and two-storey) some of which are residential and some of which were used for commerce.
Address: São Luiz do Paraitinga is 108 miles from São Paulo.
SANTANA DE PARNAÍBA
Nossa Senhora da Conceição Chapel
The Nossa Senhora da Conceição Chapel was built in 1687, on the grounds belonging to Captain Guilherme Pompeu de Almeida, a wealthy landowner and financier of Indian and Gold ‘hunters’. The small-scale chapel was made with rammed earth and cob walls (traditional construction techniques for building walls). On the inside, there is a gold-carved, painted altarpiece, two images and two anthropomorphic torchbearers. Over time, the chapel has undergone numerous refurbishments, with little remaining of its original materials.
Address: Capela Velha Road, Voturuna – Santana do Parnaíba (SP)
SÃO JOÃO DA BOA VISTA
São João da Boa Vista Theatre
In and around 1911, there were ongoing discussions at the Town Hall regarding the possibility of building a City Theatre. At first, Major José Evangelista de Almeida was granted permission to carry out the task, but permission was subsequently transferred to the Sanjoanense Theatre Company Corp. The solidly built construction was designed by the Italian Architect J. Pucci and erected by Antonio Lanzac. The metallic structure and cement were shipped over from Germany, and the roof tiles from Marseilles, France. The original building was demolished in 1981 due to its poor state of health, and a restoration process began which was finished in 2000, with the Theatre now once again open for visitors.
Address: Praça da Catedral, 22, corner with Rua Antonina Junqueira – São João da Boa Vista (SP)
Make sure you have a look at London travel agencies who are BBMag’s partners, in the BBMag Business Directory, here.